Saturday, April 16, 2011

Zuppa Toscana

This soup turns out the best if you have some time to let it simmer!

Makes apx 4 bowls

Ingredients:
1/2 Onion
4 Cloves of Garlic or 1 tablespoon garlic paste
2 LARGE potatoes or4 smaller ones
3 Italian sausage links removed of their casings (or the equivilent in patties)
4 strips of bacon
3 cans of chicken broth
1/2 quart of heavy cream
Grapeseed or Olive Oil
Kosher salt
Black pepper
Red pepper flakes
Kale

Remove the sausage links from their casings and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes

Meanwhile dice the onion into small pieces as well as the garlic and sautee on medium low heat with a tablespoon of oil

Dice the potatoes (I keep the skin on, but that's up to you) and add to the onion mix and cook for a few more minutes

Add 2 cans of chicken broth and let the potatoes come to a boil

Remove the sausage from the oven and place on a cutting board to cool

Cook bacon until crisp and then set aside to cool

Once sausage has cooled enough to handle (insert joke here) slice down the center, then slice down the centers again to create 4 small spear shaped pieces, dice into little bite sized pieces.
(Note: After I chop up the sausage I put the sausage between a bunch of paper towels *or regular cloth towels if youre not afraid to stain them* and place my cast iron skillet ontop and press to remove the grease. I do this twice. If you don't do it you'll just have extra grease that sits a little ontop of the soup, it's not a big deal, I just don't prefer it)

Add the sausage to the soup and add the cream and third can of broth.

Let the soup simmer on medium low for at least 30 - 45 minutes

In the meantime chop up the Kale - I remove as much of the stalks as possible, but you don't need to if you don't mind them. 

I prefer my soup a little thicker so I kind of mash down some of the potatoes with the back of my spoon or a whisk to thicken it, but this is optional.

add about 1 tsp of red pepper flakes and salt and pepper to taste

Add the kale and simmer for another 30 minutes or so

Add the crumbled bacon right before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment